Wednesday, February 11, 2009

MMMMMMMMMMMMM Ocean (Finally)

I've been hesitant to try this new soap recipe I devised. I wasn't sure if it was perfect, I am trying to create the perfect soap - but of course I'm sure there will always be something I can do better. So I'll never feel I have the perfect soap

I finally gave in and made it, I've been dying to try it, and still am :smile: I call it Ocean, it is a dupe of Yankee Candle's Ocean Water from From Nature With Love. I have the Yankee Candle scent in a car freshener in my car, I really like both the original and the dupe, though the dupe smells a bit dif
ferent - it does smell very clean and refreshing.


Here's a picture of it when I just got done mixing it, it's still in the pot (the colored portion anyway).




Here's the beautiful colored portion of the soap once I poured it in the mold. Don't mind the color difference, I forgot the flash.


For the uncolored top potion I pulled out 3 cups of soap before I colored, or with the ten pounds of soap I made that is roughly 3 pounds of soap I pulled out. Here's the lovely uncolored portion poured on top.


Here it is after I attacked it with my silicone whisk.


Here is the beautiful log o' soap after it sat in the mold for about 12 hours, just before we cut it. Isn't it gorgeous!?! Or am I just really odd to think that soap is so pretty?


And for the close-up just before cutting.


Such a pretty blue. Now for March 1 to hurry up and get here so I can take this puppy for a test bubble!


This soap is unique in our line, but if all goes well many of the things we did in this soap will appear in our other soaps. This soap has wild harvested silk in it , wild harvested is the closest thing to "peace silk" you can currently get. We don't like the idea of the cute little silk worms being harmed in obtaining silk for our soaps, wild harvested silk is collected from what the silk worm leaves behind - it's trash to the worm, but luxury to us!

This recipe also has sorbitol incorporated into it. Sorbitol is a chelating agent as well as a humectant, so we're hoping this soap won't leave behind the typical amount of soap scum (anyone that uses handmade soap on a regular basis knows of this problem!). And a humectant will leave your skin oh so soft as it draws moisture from the air to you. Sorbitol is a naturally occuring sugar alcohol.

We've also incorporated colloidal oatmeal, colloidal oatmeal is used for many skin ailments, such as itching from dryness and eczema. We are hoping it brings just a little something extra to the soap.

1 comment:

Presto said...

That is really pretty! Now I want to try it. :)